Parish History

Most Holy Trinity Church has been on Montrose Avenue in what is now known as East Williamsburg, Brooklyn since 1841; that year, the renowned Father John Stephen Raffeiner founded the parish, built the first church, and began his ministry among the German immigrants of Williamsburg. Six blocks away, on the corner of Maujer and Leonard Streets, the Church of the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary (commonly called “St. Mary’s”) was founded in May of 1853; the first pastor of St. Mary’s, the Rev. Peter McLoughlin, heroically served the Irish immigrants under his care. Both parishes, two of the oldest in the Diocese of Brooklyn, had long and very proud histories. On September 1, 2007, the two merged forming the new parish of Most Holy Trinity – St. Mary. To this day, we at Most Holy Trinity – St. Mary continue our long-standing and enduring traditions of serving immigrants and the people of our culturally diverse neighborhood.

After the heyday of the German and Irish presence in East Williamsburg, both parishes ministered to diverse ethnic communities. For a significant part of their histories, especially during the mid-twentieth century, both were home to many Italian-Americans. We have also been and are now home to those who have immigrated from other parts of Europe and from Asia; we are home to African-Americans, Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, Ecuadorians, Mexicans and people from other Spanish-speaking countries. In recent years we have been blessed with the arrival of people from Poland, one of the newest immigrant communities to settle in our area. Looking to the future, it is evident that our neighborhood continues to attract a diversified community of people, the newest of whom are known as “young urban professionals” and “hipsters.” We continue to serve and to welcome all who come to the doors of the parish of Most Holy Trinity – St. Mary. You too are welcome to our home. Thanks for visiting our site, and we hope to see you soon! More about our history